Top 11 Space Invaders T-Shirts (Because 10 just isn’t enough)
If the background of our site wasn’t a huge tip off, then let me tell you that we’re some huge fans of space invaders of here. So when Andy over at Thunderfrogs said he was putting together a list of space invader t-shirts and offered to let us publish it, we responded with a resounding “HELLZ YEAH!” (Check out his full bio at the end of the article.)
2. Space Invader t-shirt from Bytelove – €22. Simple and effective; and recognizable over a light-year away.
4. Invasion t-shirt by msuber, from MySoti – £11.65. Msuber repeats the ranked geometric space invaders, for a pleasing pattern print.
5. I Space Invade NY t-shirt by James Lillis at MySoti – £16.48. The first of two space invaders t-shirts from James Lillis; this one a parody of the famous New York advertising campaign.
7. Ground Defenses, by Glennz – $19.95. If you look up ‘pop culture inspired parody’ in the dictionary, there’s a picture of Glenn Jones. Or there would be, if pop culture inspired parody was in the dictionary, and was defined by a photo of it’s greatest champion.
8. Bug Spray space invaders t-shirt by crazydays from Red Bubble – from $27.93 Rather than killing bugs, this spray can seems to be unleashing hordes of the alien insects on an unsuspecting world. I think a liberal splash of color would brighten up this design no end.
9. Hikiko Invaders space invaders shirt from Tolky Monkys – €22. Tolky Monkys is a Spanish shop with cute character tees. In this one, a mime artist called Hikiko finds himself in the wrong place at the wrong time (but is there ever a right time and place for mime?).
10. A Simple Plan, Space invader t-shirt by Neil Gregory – $18 If ever evidence of the gaming gender bias were needed, it’s that this t-shirt is sold out in all mens sizes, but still readily available for the ladies. Being blogged by Wil Wheaton can’t have hurt sales either.
11. Space Arcade from Goodie Two Sleeves – $21.98. These guys have broken formation! They’ve completely ignored the battle plans the space-general laid out in the briefing!
T-shirt designers are not the only ones to be inspired by the seminal seventies arcade game; musicians (and their video directors) also enjoy paying tribute. Check out this stunning video from Royksopp. [via BoingBoing]
If you’ve ever played waaaay too much space invaders (and who hasn’t?), eaten cheese and then gone straight to bed, your dreams were probably something like this next video from Hexstatic & Kris Menace. [via BoingBoing]
If these delights have failed to slake your thirst for 8-bit goodness, keep an eye out in your local city center, as an anonymous graffiti artist known only as “Invader” has been installing mosaic space invaders in cities across the globe for the last decade.
Thunderfrogs delivers the best of the t-shirt world (sales, discount codes, store and tee reviews, interviews and t-shirt news), updated on a near-daily basis. I love t-shirts with pop-culture references, especially 80s film, cartoon, and computer game nostalgia.
Andy also recently published another interview with James Lillis, a PopCultureTees favorite; read the whole thing here.